Panhia Lee/ Artist Statement

Panhia Lee
Beg. Media Arts/P.2

Artist Statement

Most of the photos I take I try to make it look interesting in a natural way and for it to look in the moment. When taking my photographs, I don’t want my focus to be on center because it would look boring. I’d take it from different angles such as a 90 degrees angle or from the side or back or front but off center. I also frame my images from different viewpoints because that way I leave my viewers or audience curious as to what I was trying to capture but it’s not hard to see because I prefer plain backgrounds so there isn’t so much going on as distractions to the photo. The ways of taking an image and learning how to make it look interesting without being too fake is what I like to show in my work.

A few of my favorite framing techniques are the bird’s eye view, grounds view, side views, or vanishing point. I would say these techniques make an image look the most interesting and that’s what I try to incorporate into my photographs. Also a lot of my photos are very standstill like nature and are candid. I don’t have to think much when taking my images because I already know what I want and how I want it.

After taking my photographs, the editing part comes. I used the Adobe Photoshop Software to beautify my images. There are numerous things I could do to change and distort my images. I’m more subtle and natural so I don’t want to do much to change my image completely.

Something I really liked doing was changing the hues and saturation of my images. By doing this I can see the different color combinations and variations. Another editing style I used was the gradient tool and I found out I could change the opacity so as to not let much light through to my images. I used this tool when the lightings in my photos weren’t so good or to bring down the brightness of the photo.

For our last assignment I used the three distinctive editing styles to cartoonize my images or add some color effects. Using the gradient tool was really nice and helpful on getting my pictures to look smooth. I used this tool to make my photos look more subtle and relaxed at the same time having a sharp edged look to it. This was something I liked in my images.

My artwork consists of various framing techniques so my object isn’t always in the center of the image. I try to do still life scenery shots and use plain backgrounds so there aren’t any distractions as to what I’m focusing on in my image. Lastly, I take photos that are candid and try my best to make it look natural. These are what I value in my photography.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment